What kind of curtain pole do I need?
Only the one that is suits your needs. Each person has his own requirements for the best and his own criteria to choose it. Let’s define different curtain poles and everything that concerns the decision to buy them.
What kind of curtain poles material is on the market?
There are three main materials – wood, metal and PVC and a combination of these 3 materials.
Wooden curtain poles
This type is the oldest and therefore the most proven method of attaching curtains. Usually, pine, linden, walnut, less often oak, beech and cherry are used to manufacture wooden curtain pole.
The advantages of wooden poles include:
- their environmental friendliness, for many people this is the most important factor when choosing it.
- Stunning – natural appearance, wood blends well with most materials and styles in the interior.
- long service life, subject to the conditions of correct use
The disadvantages of wooden curtain poles:
- limited options for attaching curtains to the curtain pole – a wooden one, as a rule, has a tubular shape and not all types of curtains can be fixed to a pipe
- the tree has a rather large weight, which will require reinforced fasteners for the curtain pole
- the tree does not like moisture and temperature changes – under their influence, it can change its size and shape, crack or swell
- high price – natural wooden curtain poles have a far from budget price
Metal curtain poles
Poles of this group can be made of different metals. In the production of budget models, aluminum and duralumin are used. For more refined curtain poles, bronze, steel, chrome steel are used.
Advantages of metal curtain rods:
- exceptional strength and durability
- ecological cleanliness
- good appearance of the product and ease of maintenance
- good aesthetic compatibility with any materials in the interior
- metal curtain rods have various types of profiles and, as a result, have various options for attaching curtains to the curtain rod
Disadvantages of metal curtain rods:
- Heavy weight, especially for models made of bronze and forged items. The large weight of curtain pole will require strong supporting structures to which the cornice will be attached. For example, fixing a bronze cornice to a drywall wall will not work without additional efforts.
- Higher price – higher quality costs more
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) curtain poles
Plastic curtain rods are made of artificial material – polyvinyl chloride. If the product was manufactured at an official enterprise, and has a quality certificate, then with a high probability such pole will not harm your health. And, if the product does not have documents confirming the origin, you should think about whether it can be brought to your home. When buying, pay attention to this.
PVC curtain poles in appearance often imitate poles made of expensive materials – wood and metal. You can save a lot on this.
Advantages of plastic curtain poles:
- The greatest, among other types of curtain poles, a variety of shapes, types of available profiles and an abundance of colours.
- Light weight and ease of installation.
- Low price – PVC curtain rods are the cheapest in the category.
Disadvantages of PVC ones:
- Artificial origin, low class of environmental friendliness, especially against the background of competitors made of wood and metal.
- It is highly flammable; when burned, they emit poisonous and dangerous for humans.
- Quite fragile, many species, especially tubular, have a weak bearing load. Hanging a heavy dense curtain on such a curtain pole will not work, it simply can not stand it and break.
How to choose a curtain rod for curtains. What you need to pay attention to?
The first step is to evaluate what the curtains will be
Obviously, you need a curtain pole to hang curtains. Therefore, first of all, you need to understand what specific curtains you plan to use, namely:
- the proposed model of curtains – what elements in the composition of curtains will be used – lambrequins, hooks, etc.
- the number of rows in the composition of curtains – one or more
splendor of curtains (the number and volume of folds on the curtains)
- the total weight of all curtains and their decorative elements. The type of material and type of eaves construction depends on the weight of the curtains.
- the estimated width of the curtain composition, for example, along the width of the window or along the width of the wall. Do not confuse it with the width of the curtain.
Step two – choose the size of the curtain pole
Standard curtain pole lengths and diameters
Diameter – 28mm
Lengths – 120cm, 180cm, 240cm, 300cm, 360cm
Diameters – 16/19mm (Extendable), 19mm, 25/28mm (Extendable), 28mm, 29mm, 35mm
Fixed Lengths – 120cm, 180cm, 240cm, 300cm, 360cm
Extendable – 70-120cm, 120-210cm, 180-330cm, 210-360cm
Lengths – 100cm, 125cm, 150cm, 175cm, 200cm, 225cm, 250cm, 275cm
Extendable Metal Tracks
Lengths – 1.2m-2.2m, 1.7m-3m, 2.2m-3.8m
Step 3 decide what kind of finials or accessories you will want to see attached to it
Maybe its – Rings!?
Curtain rings are great for metal curtain poles, because nylon coating smooths the gliding motion when you open or close your curtains.
There are plenty of finials to check here